The Financial Aid Office at Talladega College is here to assist students in acquiring funding to help pay for their college education. Our main role is to administer any federal and/or state monies for which a student is eligible. Additionally, we strive to assist students who would normally be deprived of a college education because of inadequate funds to attend college. Every attempt is made to meet a student’s demonstrated need. However, this is not always possible.
We believe that higher education should not be a privilege reserved only for those who can afford to purchase it. We feel that educational opportunities should not be limited by the financial resources of students and their families. However, because the total resources available for financial assistance to students at Talladega College are limited, we have adopted the following principles:
- The family of a student is expected to make a maximum effort to assist the student with college expenses. Financial assistance from the College is viewed only as supplementary to the efforts of the student and the family.
- To determine the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the resulting demonstrated financial need. the College utilizes the needs analysis provided through the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Financial assistance consists of scholarships, grants, loans and employment which may be offered to students in various combinations.
- In selecting students for financial aid, the College shall place emphasis on financial need and/or academic achievement in accordance with criteria of various programs of aid.
- Awards based exclusively on criteria other than demonstrated need (i.e. academic achievements, club memberships, community awards, etc.) may be made to students who do not other-wise qualify for financial assistance; however, such awards must be considered as a resource in determining eligibility for need based awards.
- Where need based funds are involved, the total amount of financial assistance offered to a student cannot exceed demonstrated financial need. The only exceptions to this restriction could be PLUS Loans as well as Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, all of which can be used to reduce the expected Family Contribution used to determine need.
- A student who needs financial aid is expected to apply for the Federal Stafford Loan.